Brandon Premises Liability Lawyer
Any time you leave your house, you could end up suffering injuries on someone else’s property. You could trip over a broken sidewalk, suffer a dog bite when visiting a neighbor, or slip on spilled liquids in the grocery store. These accidents and many others are covered under the legal practice area known as premises liability. Under Florida’s premises liability laws, property owners have a legal duty to keep their premises free from dangerous conditions and hazards. If you sustained injuries on someone else’s property, you could have the right to bring a legal claim for damages. To learn more, contact a Brandon premises liability lawyer.
At Palmer | Lopez, our skilled legal team has years of experience helping Florida clients fight for the compensation they deserve after suffering injuries on someone else’s property. We understand the nuances of premises liability claims, and we know how to hold property owners and businesses accountable for your damages.
Types of Premises Liability Claims in Florida
Numerous types of incidents can fall under premises liability in Florida. Some of the most common claims we handle at Palmer | Lopez include the following:
- Slip and Falls: Both slip and falls and trip and falls are premises liability claims. You could be injured anywhere, including a sidewalk, parking lot, grocery store, shopping mall, hotels, restaurants, government buildings, and more.
- Dog Bites: If you were bitten by a dog that you did not provoke, you might have the legal right to bring a claim for damages against the dog’s owner.
- Falling Objects: Workers at a construction site and pedestrians walking by are at risk of being hit by falling objects. Falling objects can also happen in warehouses, stores, etc.
- Amusement Parks: Poorly maintained or defective rides could injure unsuspecting visitors.
- Swimming Pool Accidents: You could have a claim for damages from an accident at a public pool or a friend’s home.
- Elevators and Escalators: Poorly maintained or poorly designed equipment can result in injuries. Buildings should be conducting regular maintenance and safety checks on all escalators and elevators.
- Negligent Security: These claims involve injuries because the property owner didn’t have proper security measures to stop criminal activity.
Types of Damages You Can Obtain in a Florida Premises Liability Claim
Depending on your accident circumstances, you could be entitled to compensation for one or more types of damages. Some of the most common damages awarded in Brandon premises liability cases include:
- Medical bills to date,
- Scar revision treatment or surgery,
- Future expected treatment;
- Property damage;
- Lost earnings to date;
- Loss of earning capacity;
- Physical pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress; and
- Wrongful death.
In limited scenarios, the court may opt to award punitive damages. These damages are not to compensate per se as they are awarded against the defendant to “punish” them so they won’t repeat the same behavior in the future.
Contact a Brandon Premises Liability Lawyer Today
If you were injured while on someone else’s property, let the skilled team of Brandon premises liability lawyers help. Contact our office today to schedule an initial consultation.