When you opt for cosmetic surgery to enhance your appearance and increase self-confidence, you expect a positive result. Your life could be shattered when negligence by the surgeon results in disfigurement, scarring, or other consequences. Not only will you incur costs to repair the damage, but the emotional toll can be devastating. While you may realize that Florida law provides you with options to hold a health care professional accountable, you face an uphill battle if you don’t understand the legal process.
Our attorneys at Palmer | Lopez have amassed considerable knowledge over decades of combined experience in medical malpractice claims, including those for botched plastic surgery. We’re skilled in negotiating settlement with an insurance company, and we’re equally adept at litigating medical error cases in court. Please contact us to set up a no-cost consultation with a lawyer who can explain the details, and check out an overview of the general concepts.
Florida Malpractice Laws Apply to Botched Cosmetic Procedures
Under Florida’s medical malpractice statute, you can recover compensation when a health care provider’s negligence leads to personal injuries; cosmetic surgeons are covered by the law. The measurement of negligence is whether the physician’s actions deviate from the standard of care that’s generally accepted in the medical specialty of plastic or cosmetic surgery. You must prove that such a deviation was the direct cause of your actual, physical injuries. In other words, it’s not enough to show that you were disappointed in the results of the surgery.
Injuries from Negligent Cosmetic Surgery
Errors in these procedures can lead to a wide range of bodily harm, and some of the most common injuries include:
- Drooping or sagging at the surgical site;
- Discoloration, patchiness, or mottled skin;
- Infection or sepsis;
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia;
Compensation for Your Losses
Our attorneys at Palmer | Lopez will work relentlessly to get the full range of monetary damages available for you in a medical malpractice claim for botched plastic surgery. There are two categories of compensation in these cases:
- Your economic damages are those that are quantifiable, many of which may be out-of-pocket. They include medical costs to treat and repair the damage done by the negligent cosmetic surgeon. If your injuries prevented you from working, you may also qualify for lost wages.
- Noneconomic damages are more subjective and difficult to attach a dollar value, but you still endure hardship. In this category, you may recover for pain and suffering, emotional distress, decreased quality of life, and many more.
Contact a St. Petersburg Cosmetic Surgery Lawyer Regarding Your Options
If you suffered bodily harm and other losses due to medical malpractice in connection with cosmetic surgery, please contact Palmer | Lopez right away. You can set up a free consultation at our St. Petersburg office by calling 813-967-8505 or visiting our website. Once we learn more about your circumstances, we can determine the best way to proceed with your case.