St. Petersburg Diagnostic Error Lawyer
Diagnostic errors are both devastating and preventable, and a recent study published by the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (SIDM) demonstrates that they’re more common than you think. Mistakes in diagnosis comprise more than 28 percent of all medical malpractice claims, falling third behind errors in surgery and medical treatment. Diagnostic errors are unique in the harm they cause for a patient, so the resulting losses can be extreme.
Fortunately, you do have rights under Florida medical malpractice laws, and our team at The Palmer Law Firm, P.A. can assist with your legal remedies. Mistakes in diagnosis rob you of the opportunity to receive quality patient care, so we’re dedicated to helping you get your life back. Please contact our office to set up a no-cost case evaluation with a St. Petersburg diagnostic error lawyer. We can advise you on your specific situation, but you may find some general information useful.
Misdiagnosis Leads to Devastating Harm
The SIDM study revealed that diagnostic errors occur with higher frequency related to the “Big Three” medical conditions, which are vascular events, infection, and cancers. The most common types of mistakes are:
- Delayed Diagnosis: When there’s a time lag in identifying a medical condition, a patient doesn’t receive the prompt, timely care they need. The ailment could worsen, even over a period of just a few weeks. In the case of vascular events and infection, the delay could even lead to death.
- Wrong Diagnosis: If a physician provides an inaccurate diagnosis, the patient doesn’t receive the proper care; however, he or she also may receive potentially harmful, unnecessary treatment. This scenario frequently occurs with false positive diagnosis of cancer. You could endure chemotherapy, undergo surgery, or be exposed to high levels of radiation, even though you don’t have cancer.
At The Palmer Law Firm, P.A., our attorneys work with medical experts to support your medical malpractice claim for misdiagnosis. We rely on them before initiating litigation, as we investigate and develop a legal strategy around the diagnosis error. In addition, these qualified medical experts may also testify in court.
Your Rights as a Patient
Many medical malpractice claims can be resolved out of court by negotiating a settlement with an insurance company. If the insurer refuses to offer a fair, reasonable amount, you’ll need to initiate litigation. You may obtain different types of damages, depending on the details of your case. For example, you may be able to recover:
- Medical expenses to treat your misdiagnosed condition;
- Lost wages and future earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional turmoil;
- Losses based upon how the misdiagnosis affects your personal relationships; and,
- Many others.
Discuss Your Rights with a St. Petersburg Diagnostic Error Lawyer
As you can see, the legal issues involved with medical malpractice claims are complex, and cases involving misdiagnosis are even more complicated. It’s wise to trust an experienced attorney to handle your claim, so please contact The Palmer Law Firm, P.A. for assistance with the process. You can schedule a free consultation by calling 813-967-8505 or checking out our website.