St. Petersburg ER Error Lawyer
The emergency room is a hectic, frenzied environment, in which health care professionals rush to provide urgent treatment to those suffering from life-threatening injuries and ailments. However, this extreme nature of this setting doesn’t absolve physicians, nurses, and other staff from their duty to deliver quality patient care. ER errors can lead to tragic consequences for victims who are already facing medical challenges. Negligent acts compound a medical condition and can significantly extend the recovery period.
If you were harmed because of an ER error, you may get some sense of comfort knowing that Florida medical malpractice laws do apply to these circumstances. With help from our team at The Palmer Law Firm, P.A., you may be able to recover compensation for your losses. We can explain your legal options after reviewing your case, so please contact our office today to schedule a no-cost consultation with a St. Petersburg ER error lawyer. Some background information may also be useful.
Common Errors in the Emergency Department
Because of the unique environment, there are certain types of ER mistakes that occur with alarming frequency. Our attorneys at The Palmer Law Firm, P.A. handle claims involving:
- Misdiagnosis of an injury or illness;
- Errors in administering medication, such as the wrong type or dosage;
- Ignoring or downplaying symptoms of a medical condition;
- Neglecting to order appropriate tests and lab screenings;
- Misinterpreting and misreading test results;
- Delays in providing treatment;
- Patient “dumping,” which refers to releasing a patient or transferring to another department, usually because of lack of insurance or financial resources; and,
- Many others.
Misdiagnosis occurs the most often in the ER setting, and it’s most common with heart attack, stroke, and infection. When an emergency health care professional makes diagnosis errors with these medical conditions, the patient can suffer serious, permanent harm or even death.
Liability for ER Errors
Most medical mistakes are preventable, including those made in the emergency department. In this type of medical malpractice claim, you need to show that a provider was negligent in providing care, and that the error was the direct cause of your injuries. Some examples of negligence in the ER include:
- Inexperience or insufficient training;
- Shortages of equipment, resources, and beds;
- Not carefully reviewing the patient’s medical history; and,
- Other conduct that deviates from the accepted standard of care.
Note that you must comply with Florida’s statute of limitations for medical malpractice, which works slightly differently from other personal injury matters. In most cases, you have two years to file a lawsuit in court; for injuries you don’t discover right away, you have up to four years.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a St. Petersburg ER Error Lawyer
At The Palmer Law Firm, P.A., our attorneys are dedicated to assisting victims of medical malpractice, including patients who suffer from mistakes in the ER setting. We have decades of experience in these cases, so we’re prepared to handle insurance claims and represent you in court. To learn more about our legal services, please call 813-967-8505 or go online to set up a free case evaluation at our office in St. Petersburg.