St. Petersburg Pharmacy Malpractice Lawyer
Many people lump pharmacists into the same category as doctors and nurses, especially since pharmacy errors can have similar life-changing implications from a medical standpoint. However, malpractice rules are very different under the pharmacy statutes in Florida and these professionals are entirely separate from other health care practitioners. Fortunately, you can still pursue a pharmacy practitioner whose negligence caused you harm through a pharmacy mistake.
At The Palmer Law Firm, P.A., our team is well-versed in the laws regarding malpractice by pharmacies, so we can assist in getting compensation for your losses as a victim. We’re adept at strategies for negotiating settlement, and we can take your case to court if necessary to protect your rights. Please contact our office to set up a free consultation with a St. Petersburg pharmacy malpractice lawyer, and read on for some basics about these cases.
Legal Duty of Pharmacists in Florida
Pharmacy malpractice is based on negligence, which focuses on the duty a practitioner owes to the patient. Pharmacists must exercise the degree of skill, knowledge, and care that another reasonably prudent pharmacist would use under the same circumstances. If a pharmacy professional departs from the reasonableness standard, and you were harmed through the medication delivered to you, it’s possible to recover damages for your losses.
Mistakes That Give Rise to Pharmacy Malpractice
The core responsibility of a pharmacist’s duty is to dispense the medication according to a physician’s instructions. However, there are many underlying tasks involved as well. A practitioner may make a pharmacy error by:
- Failing to warn the patient about potential side effects;
- Refilling a prescription within a time period too short for the patient to be taking the medication according to instructions;
- Not consulting with the patient about drug interactions;
- Failing to communicate with the patient’s physician if there are any questions or concerns about filling the prescription;
- Delivering the wrong medication or dosage;
- Neglecting to screen interactions when dispensing multiple drugs;
- Failing to take a patient’s medical history into account, if pharmacy records indicate issues;
- Not including instructions about taking medication;
- Neglecting to ask the patient about known allergies; and,
- Any other act that deviates from the relevant standard of care.
Damages in a Pharmacy Malpractice Case
If you have sufficient proof that the pharmacist’s negligence was a direct result of your injuries, you may qualify to recover compensation. Our lawyers at The Palmer Law Firm, P.A. will assist in obtaining amounts expended for medical care to treat your injuries, as well as any lost wages if you missed work. Plus, you may also receive non-economic damages, including pain and suffering, emotional distress, and others.
Consult with a St. Petersburg Pharmacy Malpractice Lawyer to Learn More
If you were hurt or lost a loved one because of a pharmacy error, retaining legal counsel is essential. Our lawyers at The Palmer Law Firm, P.A. are ready to assist throughout the claims process, from discussions with insurers to litigation in court. Please contact our St. Petersburg office today with questions regarding your rights and remedies. You can schedule a complimentary consultation calling 813-967-8505 or checking us out online.