St. Petersburg Premises Liability Lawyer
No one thinks they will leave their house that day and be injured. Unfortunately, accidents can happen just about anywhere at any given time. You could slip and fall while picking up groceries for dinner, be attacked by your neighbor’s dog, or be assaulted in a shopping mall parking lot. All these examples and more fall under what’s known as premises liability. Under Florida premises liability laws, property owners are required to protect visitors by keeping their premises reasonably safe from dangerous conditions and hazards.
If you suffered harm on someone else’s property and believe the property owner is liable, speak with a St. Petersburg premises liability lawyer right away. At Palmer | Lopez, we routinely handle premises liability issues for our clients. We know how to hold businesses accountable and recover the compensation you deserve.
Types of Premises Liability Claims in Florida
Some of the most common types of premises liability cases we handle in Florida include:
- Falls: Slip and falls or trip and falls are common types of claims that fall under premises liability. They can occur anywhere, including grocery stores, parking lots, government buildings, and more.
- Falling Objects: Construction sites and stores are common locations for things to fall, presenting hazards to shoppers or workers.
- Dog Bites: If you did not provoke a dog and were attacked, the owner might be liable for your injuries and damages.
- Negligent Security: These claims deal with injuries that occur because the property owner didn’t take proper security precautions to keep visitors from being the victim of criminal activity.
- Swimming Pool Accidents: Swimming pool accidents can happen at either public or private pools. Premises liability claims include a drowning, near drowning, burns from water-treatment chemicals, or injuries due to some other dangerous condition.
- Amusement Park or Playground: Risks include defectively designed rides or poorly maintained rides that could injure visitors.
- Elevators and Escalators: Poorly designed or maintained equipment can lead to injuries. Both escalators and elevators require regular inspections. If the responsible parties do not adequately take care of them, visitors could suffer harm.
What Types of Damages Can You Obtain in a Florida Premises Liability Claim?
Depending on your accident’s type and circumstances, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other damages. Common damages awarded in a St. Petersburg premises liability claim include:
- Medical bills to date;
- Future expected medical treatment;
- Scar revision treatment;
- Property damage;
- Lost wages to date;
- Loss of earning capacity;
- Physical pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress; and
- Wrongful death.
In limited circumstances, the court may award punitive damages. These are reserved for cases where the defendant’s actions were intentional or very shocking. Judges award punitive damages to send a message to the defendant and deter them from doing something similar again.
Contact a St. Petersburg Premises Liability Lawyer
If you or someone you loved was injured on someone else’s property, you need to determine whether you have a viable Florida premises liability claim. That is why you need to speak with an experienced St. Petersburg premises liability lawyer who can help. Contact Palmer | Lopez today to schedule an initial consultation.